Spiced Pear Cake
What you will need...
- 1 cup white sugar plus (2 tablespoons raw sugar top with prior to baking)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1-2 large pears, peeled and sliced thin, tossed in lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Icing...
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream, whisk in vanilla & cream to desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or Baking spray a Springform or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Beat the butter cinnamon, cardamom and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla bean paste until just combined. Add the flour mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Arrange the pears on top of batter in a single layer, pressing them in a little. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons raw sugar over the pears.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake until slightly brown and a tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Mine took 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Make icing while it cools.
- After it's cooled, pop out of springform and transfer to serving platter. Top with cinnamon and icing.
Adapted from http://thevanillabeanblog.com/2012/12/an-everyday-pear-cake.html