Chocolate Banana Coconut Bundt
What you will need:
For the cake...
- 1/2 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 large Eggs
- 3 ripe Medium or 2 Large Bananas (approximately 1 cup mashed)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (I like the Ghirardelli unsweetened)
For the Sauce...
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, cut up into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful here the sauce bubble up quickly when the butter is added.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Very slowly, drizzle in 1/2 cup of heavy cream while stirring. Since the heavy cream is colder than the caramel, again use caution it will splatter when added.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to cool down before using.
- You can make this caramel in advance. Make sure it is covered tightly and store it for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Warm the caramel up for a few seconds before using in a recipe. I warmed mine up for 30 seconds at 50% power and it was perfect.
Pre Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray or grease a 12 cup bunt pan.
- Sift over a large bowl flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and cardamom.
- In a stand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add vanilla extract, mashed bananas and yogurt.
- Add flour mixture slowly, mix until incorporated scaring down the sides if necessary.
- Spray a bundt pan with non stick spray and sprinkle in sweetened, shredded coconut about 1/2 a cup, Pour in batter. The coconut with toast and somewhat caramelize while baking
- Bake in center rack of the oven for 45-50 min. Mine was perfect at 45 min.
- When done the top should gently bounce back when pressed. Invert pan over wire rack and remove cake, let it cool. Place a sheet of parchment under the wire rack and then drizzle with salted caramel sauce.