Spicy Tomato-Bean & Basil Soup
What you will need…
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet maya onion (or white onion if you prefer) peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (less if you don't like it to spicy)
- 2 28 oz. cans whole tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 15 oz. can Cannellini Beans
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Crème fraîche or Light Sour Cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, medium heat, add onion and pepper flakes, stirring occasionally until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and juices plus water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. Add basil leaves, season with desired about of salt and pepper. remove from heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Set out a large heat proof bowl. Using a blender puree the soup in batches until smooth. Be sure to remove the small cap from the lid to allow for steam to escape, just cover firmly with a kitchen towel to avoid splatter, otherwise the lid could pop off from the heat! (nobody wants to clean up that mess) Give it a taste and add any additional seasoning.
- Return the soup to sauce pan and re-heat on low until hot and your ready to serve. Then drop in a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche and dig in!